Pages

Friday 19 October 2012

18th October FONTE DOS CLERIGOS


It rained all night and continued to rain all day. Poor old Brett had to force himself to go over to the damp, dark gym/studio to carry on with his rendering. By lunchtime he had finished the studio; so he’s only got the high part of the gym left to do.

I stayed behind in the camper to do my Portuguese homework; we have to learn five new verbs and ten new nouns and then put them into sentences. I made mine pertinent to me by looking up all the verbs relating to gardening - cultivar (to grow), colher (to pick), plantar (to plant), semear (to sow) and regar (to water); the nouns I chose were also gardening related – mangericão (basil), salsa (parsley), tomilho (thyme), hortelã (mint), erva (herb), culinária (culinary), medicinal (medicinal – obviously!) fava (broad beans, as in ‘Silence of the Lambs’), ervilha (pea) and semente (seed). Unfortunately I have no idea whether these verbs are regular or irregular so I’m just guessing at how to conjugate them (a few weeks ago I didn’t even know what conjugate meant, so I’m actually learning English too). And I really, really, hope I don’t have to read any of my sentences out loud, at class tomorrow, as I find the pronunciation so hard – but of course that’s how you learn. I have to force myself not to let Brett do all the talking when we go into shops; he’s really getting the hang of the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment