Pages

Saturday 2 July 2016

More VISITORS .....

22nd June
Ooooh I did a stupid thing yesterday evening; I wanted to post my blog (which I write as a QuickMemo), so I 'selected all the text' then pressed ...... 'cut' instead of 'copy'! There's no 'undo' (well there wasn't for that action the 'back arrow' was off), I panicked, all my blog lost, I 'googled' for help to no avail, I looked in 'settings' for a restore ..... tablets are not like proper computers! I couldn't find any remedy; all this time I kept the (now) blank memo open, and suddenly it reappeared, no idea how, I did nothing but I was relieved, I copied it pretty dam quick!
We went into CB and bought a pool; it's round, 12' diameter and 4' deep (so similar size, maybe a little bigger, to the tank). Of course now the ground has to be prepared to set it up - leveled, cleared of stones, layered with sand etc. Well that won't happen tomorrow as the roof is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!
The turkeys were gobbling (probably means they're all males?) and displaying, Lobby was jumping about and barking (I thought at the turkeys) but ..... it was a snake.
I made honeycomb to take to Alex & Karina's this evening.

23rd June
We had an exciting experience at K&A's yesterday, Mishka (their dog) gave birth while we were there. She was in the same room, sitting on a chair, making no noise and smiling through her contractions. She let me handle the puppies (I had to pick one up off the floor), she was so calm. She'd had had four by the time we left (gone midnight). Karina gave me some flower seedlings (zinnia, carnation and one she couldn't remember). The zinnia and carnation have edible flowers.
C&D came round and we put the roof on! Happy, happy, happy - though (despite having six windows) my studio is rather dark; Brett says plastering the walls will lighten it.


24th June
Oh no Brexit??????? I can't actually see it happening, they'll somehow manage to negotiate a better deal ......
Another snake had to be cut out of the strawberry netting.
Brett putting up a wall on the mezzanine (which from now on will be referred to as The Loft!), which will make it into a self contained room.
Me cooking and cleaning!
I always run out of lemon curd just before guests arrive (I have it for breakfast with yoghurt); fail safe recipe to the rescue .......
Haha there's already talk of a second referendum - how democratic is that?
Courgettes have started ........
This morning's harvest ....
OK house is as clean as it gets, studio/workshop is sleepable in - bring on the guests ........
The cat seems to have settled on the goat shed as a kitten home; they're three weeks old tomorrow - the same age the last lot were when they were killed. They are very cute; they're moving about, their eyes are open and they are happy to be held and stroked.

25th June
Happy Birthday Pam! Xxx
This afternoon we went into CB to collect Debbie & David from the train, then had a relaxing evening eating, drinking and catching up. AND admiring all the bits we'd managed to sneak into their luggage including ...... a cheese press and cheese cultures (presents from D&D), lino and lino cutting tools (Amazon), more lino, Tyvek and Lutradur (crafty stuff from Debs), DVD (D&D) etc.

26th June
Just stayed around the quinta (HOT).
Debbie and I made Feta cheese,

while Brett and Dave prepared the ground for the pool,

erected
and filled the

pool from the well near the house; the only one brave enough to go in was Debs
it was freezing.

27th June
We took D&D into Fundao & bought 200 onion plugs from market. D&D bought us a load of different shaped containers to use as cheese molds, then they treated us to lunch.
We all went in the pool this afternoon which had turned red!!!! We think it's iron in the water that has reacted with the Chlorine and oxidized.
The evening was spent at Bar do Club (England v Iceland) with C&D, Richie and Paul - it was a good evening AND we got free drinks again!

28th June
Debbie and I planted the onions whilst Brett and Dave watered and weeded.
After much research on the internet, Brett and Dave made a filter for the pool; fabricated from a 5L water bottle stuffed with the filling from a pillow. The filter turned dark brown and the water coming out of it was clear but .... the pump only pumps out water from the top of the pool and most of the red particles have sunk to the bottom of the pool.

29th June
This morning the pool was crystal clear but, the red particles had only sunk to the bottom, as soon as it was agitated the whole pool turned brown and murky - the homemade filter didn't have much affect.
Dave cut grass in the big field, Brett strimmered and Debbie and I played with crafty stuff; I taught her how to make a dress pattern.

30th June
My goodness this week had gone quickly.
Today we went to Spain. I had hoped to buy material and plant plugs but the market was not good. However we were treated (again) to a lovely lunch at Casa Laura (Valverde).
D&D have been splendid guests, helping with the gardening, taking over animal duties, washing up etc. Tomorrow it's back to the grindstone.

1st July
An early start as D&D's train left CB at 8.21 am. None of the shops were open until 9.00! So we had to hang around, then no-one sold anything to take iron from water (the videos we watched were American).
The cat has a swollen hind foot, and can't stand on her leg (in fact she falls over); we think it's a bite (male cat?), I'm hoping it's not broken (I dosed it with Iodine). Atm the kittens are ok but we are rather worried.
We dug up half the potatoes today; it's back breaking work.
I barricaded the cat (with her kittens) in the dog shed overnight; hopefully this will keep them safe.

2nd July
The cat and kittens were fine .....
We took a picnic
Note: our Feta cheese!
to Idanha

and had a relaxing day by/in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment