Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

13th July CASTELO BRANCO

Same old, same old – me watering, Brett digging his trench.
There’s basil through and two leeks ....................... I’m so frustrated; I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I was good at growing in Wales but here I can’t get the seeds to germinate.
The snake was back in the tank today; we think (us and Steph) that it’s a Viperine water snake – it’s not venomous.
Brett wanted to get a bow saw out of one of the sheds, he said he was going to be careful as he had been strung on two separate occasions going into this particular shed; so he goes in really carefully, gets the bow saw and says “Yes, there it is” and pokes this little wasp nest, attached to the door, with the bow saw ............. so what do the wasps do? They attack him, naturally! He got stung twice, it was fortunate it was only a small nest.
After lunch I drove along the track while Brett looked for overhanging branches, which he sawed off in preparation for bringing the camper van on Sunday. We met Joao and Ilda walking along the track, we think they were coming to see us; they seemed very pleased when we said we were bringing the van on Sunday – I hope they realised that it’s going to our quinta, not theirs!
We went all around Castelo Branco looking for a gas supplier who would refill out British gas bottles (so we could use the fridge in the van when the camper is at the farm) but we couldn’t find one. We even put a post on the expat forum, which somebody replied to saying we could fill them ourselves at the motorway service stations – I don’t think we can. So it looks like I’m going to have to make my water cooling device with the two clay pots.
Steph sent me this article on seeds not germinating, I might be putting them in too deep (I’m sure I’m sowing them the same depth as I did in Wales) but I try sowing more shallow and see if that gets better results.


No comments:

Post a Comment