Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

3rd July IDANHA NOVA barragem

We’ve worked for three days so today we took a day off; we’ll still be working six days out of every eight, which is more than five out of seven (but as not as much as six out of seven, which we were doing before).

We packed the Ute with chairs, blankets and Kindles, went into town and bought food for a picnic, and drove to our local barragem; it’s about eight miles from the quinta. There were no notices saying we couldn’t drive anywhere, so we followed this dirt track around the water and parked in a secluded spot under some trees. We passed a family picnicking, saw a couple of fishermen by the water’s edge and there was a couple on the water in a pedalo; apart from these people it was quiet (I should imagine it gets busier at weekends). Slightly away from the water, up an incline and under a large tree, was a tent with the front open; inside it was a full size double bed, it was made up with bed linen and pillows - somebody obviously likes their home comforts!
We read, we ate, we dozed, I paddled – it was all very relaxing. I do enjoy our days off.
Paddling in the barragem
At the end of July there’s a music festival (Boom Festival) at the barragem; I thinks it’s a bit like Glastonbury. Unfortunately they don’t do day tickets, they only sell week ones which cost, including the camping 180 each (probably quite cheap but we can’t really afford it, time-wise or moneywise).

I bought some more seeds today; thyme, oregano, leeks, onions, cucumber and fennel – I hope something comes up soon! I’m a bit worried because I wasn’t there to water today, but these seeds are meant to be grown in this climate, so hopefully they should be ok.
It’s still hot and I’m going off warm food so tonight I made Gazpacho; I had to cut all the ingredients small by hand (I usually use a food processor) and grate the bread, to make breadcrumbs; I really enjoyed it AND I don’t have to make my lunch for tomorrow as I have some soup left over.
We’re still working in the heat of the day so tomorrow we’re going to try to get up earlier; it’s getting light by five – I don’t think we’ll be quite that early!

No comments:

Post a Comment