Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

6th July CASTELO BRANCO

We were there for 8.00 again; we didn’t meet the sheep this morning. 
Brett dug over another bed and strimmered (or as he called strummed) a path about 1/6 of the way around our boundary; it took him about three hours – it’s a long way round (I feel like I’m bragging, oh yes I am!). It makes walking around so much easier; it’ll be great when it goes all the way around the farm.
I watered, it’s taking me longer and longer each day; it will be fine once we get a proper irrigation system installed (2” pipe rather than ¾” hose). Then I tackled Mr Luis’s onion bed; he left it full of weeds (which have grown worse in five weeks), at first we thought he was coming back for his vegetables, but it seems that now he’s taken the potatoes the rest is ours. The onions look much better; you can actually see them now.
Path through vegetable garden to house
We dug up a couple of French beans (just to see if they were germinating!) one was, one wasn’t; so I’ve planted some in a tray as well, that’s how I would have done it normally. We were going to dig up a couple of mangetout but we could see two sprouting out of the ground, so we left them alone! I’m surprised that the radishes haven’t come through yet, but there are more scarole up today.
We went to the agricultural shop (the one that sells chicks and rabbits) when we got back to Castelo Branco and bought more seeds; I need to get herbs established asap; today we bought sage and rosemary, and I wanted something attractive (but edible) so I bought nasturtiums and calendula (marigolds), we also bought rocket and pointy cabbage. I can’t find borage which is a shame as it’s my favourite herb (it’s such a pretty blue), in fact the seeds we can get are fairly limited – no internet shopping here; we have a long list of things to buy when we’re back in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment