Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

CHEESE & GRASS

8th June
We had coffee in Fundao with Diane and Tom, a couple who are planning to buy in this area. They live in Abu Dhabi at the moment, but also used to live not far from us in Wales (they won't be able to move here permanently for another year). They were very like minded people; they want to keep pigs, goats/sheep, chickens and perhaps a cow and be self sufficient.

Our 'new best friend' Louis came around this evening with a large cheese he had made from his sheep's milk (it was delicious); 

Then he started talking about cutting our grass again but .................. if we understood him correctly (and I hope we did) he's going cut it, bale it and take it for his sheep - and it won't cost us anything, and as he said it will make it better for us when we're ready to get animals. We explained several times that we haven't got money to spend on having the grass cut and he kept saying we didn't have to pay, so fingers crossed we understood one another, we're convinced!!

I think he said that he sells the meat, from his sheep, cheaply to friends - which he implied we were! He speaks very fast and doesn't seem to understand "fala mais lento, se faz favor" (speak more slowly, please), he tried to phone someone, he says, speaks English, but they were at work.


He says that our land is good for growing vegetables and that once he's cut the grass I should plant some seeds - I then mimed ants stealing the seeds, but for some reason he didn't seem to understand me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha; would love to see your thieving ants impression sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thinking about it I'm quite embarrassed (I pointed at an ant's nest then mimed carrying something heavy on my shoulders!); it didn't occur to me to try to tell him in Portuguese, I even know the Portuguese for ant (a formiga)- I think I panicked!!!!

    ReplyDelete