Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

13th October FONTE DOS CLERIGOS


Today has been a good day!! The wine is absolutely fine, with not a hint of vinegar; as it’s still young it obviously isn’t ready to drink but we had a taste test and it’s quite fruity and already dry, but there’s none of the harsh tannin taste that I associate with red wine (it’s quite a light red, but darker than a rosé). We now have around 135L wine; we had about 15L of sediment (bottom) and scum (top), but the wine itself looks quite clear.

Pam showed me how to dig the troughs in the vegetable garden with the enchada; so this afternoon I had another bash at creating some and I have to say they were much better than my first effort, I will crack it, the idea is that you flood water into the trough and it penetrates the soil, rather than sprinkling it on the surface and then having it evaporate away.

We’re constructing our gate posts tomorrow so Brett spent the afternoon digging the foundations for them; he had to dig an 18” x 18” trench the width of the gates (10’) plus two gate posts, hard work as the track is very compacted.

I’ve been reading my “Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain” book and to give it it’s due there is some useful information on planting dates; for instance peas and mangetout are planted late autumn/early winter (rather than spring) – so I shall get some in before we come back to the UK. And another thing I’ve learnt from it is that you don’t water watermelons at all and don’t need to water melons much – which is not what I would have expected, I quote (this is about melons) “If there is no rain, water moderately every two weeks while the plant is growing. The less watering the sweeter and better keeping the fruit.”;  so that’s all good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment